If It Works in the Classroom…
Here are a few more things done in the classroom that should also be acceptable in online classes. They may have to be approached differently due to the medium, but can be engaging both for classroom and online audiences.
- Games and puzzles
- Role-playing (immersive learning sims)
- Coaching/immediate feedback
- Guest speakers (videos in an online, asynchronous delivery)
- Flip-charting ideas, concepts, etc.
- Group activities/”break-out” sessions
- Use of Twitter
Granted, some of these are challenging in an online environment, but not impossible. Bottom line, if it is done in the classroom and works well online go ahead and use it. What can happen? You end up with an engaged audience who know you put a lot of effort and resources into being an effective trainer.
What else transfers from the traditional classroom to an online course?
And what elements from online classes would work in a traditional classroom?