What is HTML 5?
I have been hearing more and more about HTML 5 during the past year. It has received A LOT more attention in the last week since YouTube released an HTML 5 Beta program. So, what is HTML 5?
HTML5 is the next major revision of HTML. It is currently still a draft, but expected in 2012 (W3C Candidate Recommendation status). Here are some of the improvements that will be found in HTML 5:
- There will be new tags that make it much easier to embed applications and handle interactive elements.
- Offline data storage.
- Ability for visitors to edit sections of web pages.
- New HTML elements that better describe content.
- Improved web form handling and validation.
- Numerous APIs
- Will it compete with Flash?
Here are a few places where you can see examples of HTML 5 in use today:
If you want to learn more about HTML 5, here is also a video from Google. Be forewarned, it is 42 minutes long.
If anyone has additional info on HTML 5 to share or if you have examples, please add them to the comments section.